Tuesday, September 1, 2015

2 Nephi 25

(August 6, 2015)
                I was struck by Nephi’s comment that his words were sufficient to teach any man the right way.  First thing first, there is some ambiguity as to what words Nephi was talking about (all his writings? his writings in this chapter?), but either way there wasn’t a lot of wiggle room for the honest doubter.  In order to hold to the position that one could study the Gospel honestly and still doubt the truth of it is to contradict not only Moroni but also Nephi.

                I say this, of course, as someone who has doubted the truth of the Gospel myself and gone through my own faith crisis.  A portion of that crisis was relative to my own sins and failings, but another portion was based upon the challenges I was facing in dealing with others and my understanding of the Gospel.

                But notice what Nephi says and doesn’t say.  He doesn’t say that they are sufficient to convince him at first glance, or the words are so overwhelming as to deny any chance to disbelieve.  No, we only know that when we engage with the Book of Mormon and the truth of the Gospel, we eventually come to the point where our doubts can be overcome through the faith which Christ can grant us and through the miracle of conversion.

No comments:

Post a Comment