Wednesday, January 22, 2014

2 Nephi 1

(January 21, 2014)
In an attempt to strengthen my testimony, I am reading through the Book of Mormon this time with a deliberate focus on complying with Moroni 10:3-5.  One consequence of that is that I am paying careful attention to the mercies shown by the Lord in the Book of Mormon.  I must admit that I am amazed at how often the scriptures speak of these mercies – and how often they are shown both in the histories of the people spoken of and in the individual lives of  the listeners.  It seems that these mercies are the means by which conversion occurs.

We are reminded of the blessings of our ancestors, and we are called upon to remember the blessings of our own lives as well.  With those firmly in our hearts, we find the Spirit comes more easily (at least, it does for me).  When I remember how kind and merciful the Lord has been to me and others I care about, I am filled with the peace that drives out doubt.

With this in mind, it becomes that much more apparent why ingratitude is so significant and such a stumbling block.  When we think of ourselves as entitled, we lose the ability to appreciate the mercies of the Lord.  When we lose sight of these mercies, our testimony begins to weaken.

No comments:

Post a Comment