Thursday, August 15, 2013

2 Timothy 2-4

(August 14, 2013)
Has there ever been a more apt description of our modern times than the one made by Paul here?  We love ourselves, we boast, we covet, we are proud, we blaspheme, we are disobedient to our parents, we are unthankful and unholy, we lack natural affection, we break truces, we falsely accuse, we lack self control, we are fierce and despise the good.  We betray everything that has value, and we are heady and highminded.  How many of us choose pleasure over God on a daily (hourly?, minute-by-minute?) basis?  Ever learning, we move further from the truth.

This is an astounding and frightening portrayal of our modern times.  It is astounding because I can envision no better description of our modern society than the one provided by this servant of God some 2,000 years before our modern society even existed.  Perhaps evil was always like this, and he could see it to a certain extent around him even then.  But I think it more likely that he had an understanding of our day that he would not otherwise have had because of the role he had to play in Christ’s work.

It is frightening because I read through the list of frailties and failings endemic to modern society and it is like a checklist – checking off those weaknesses that I have.  Almost right down the list, the things Paul condemns are elements of weakness in my life.  I felt a sense of worry or dread as I read this, realizing that I have the obligation to change my life (and quickly) to eliminate some of these traits from myself before they manage to destroy me.

No comments:

Post a Comment