Monday, August 5, 2013

Ephesians 5-6

(August 3, 2013)
Grace versus works is a touchy subject even among Church members.  I suppose that touchy might not be the precisely correct word, but there are sharp feelings on the subject and misunderstanding is easy.  Coming from a background in West Virginia, I am very familiar with the differences between the way our Church views faith versus works and the way other churches do.  But while there are differences, those differences aren’t as profound as either the members of our Church or the members of other churches sometimes believe.

Paul talks of wrath coming from disobedience, and I think that is the perfect way to describe it.  We say that we are saved by grace after all we can do to show that grace is the saving agent and not dead works.  But that seems to lead to confusion both within and without the Church (not that I am criticizing – there may be good reason for this approach).  From my limited perspective, however, I would phrase things a bit differently.  I would say that we are saved through grace if we do not first disqualify ourselves through our works.

I can see some problems with that, as it seems to minimize the importance of positive actions (mainly seeming to require avoidance of negative actions).  But it also highlights the fact that grace is the sole saving agent that we can rely on.  And it highlights the fact that we cannot have grace if we disqualify ourselves with works (or works left undone).  Certainly we all sin and fall short, but our works must be consistent with a believer and a willing recipient of grace.  On the one hand, we act the way we act even when we know what we know (a frustrating truth that plagues everyone who truly tries to bend their will to the Father).  But, on the other hand, grace does not apply counter to our desires – if we fight against grace in our actions, grace will not be applied counter to our will.

Perhaps, though, I am just fooling myself and the original language is the best – grace saves after all we can do.

* * * * *

My second thought has to do with forgiveness of others – a pressing matter in my personal life.  Paul, in describing the whole armor of God, points out that we wrestle not against flesh and blood.  I think that we forget that far too often.  When I am in conflict with those around me, I am not in conflict with them.  I am in conflict with the evil in my soul, the evil that is in their soul, or both.  They are not my enemy, but the enemy of all righteousness is my enemy.  Whether that infests them or me or both of us, it really doesn’t change the essential nature of the conflict.  It should be easier to forgive and love those who hate and use us if we remember that they are being hated and used by one far worse – and this is what is causing them to behave in the way they do.

No comments:

Post a Comment