Monday, April 21, 2014

Alma 5

(March 18, 2014)
I had a number of thoughts as I read through this chapter that I intended to include, but my mind was immediately drawn to one central fact that I just had to make mention of.  Alma, speaking of his understanding of the truth, spoke of the necessity he had of fasting and praying for many days in order to come to a knowledge of the truth of the matters he was speaking of.  I had read that any number of times, but it struck me this time who was speaking.

This was Alma the Younger – the same Alma the Younger that had been visited by an angel, who had a voice that could shake the Earth.  The same Alma the Younger that was in a coma for several days before finally recovering as he cried out to the Son of God.  The same Alma the Younger that left behind his wicked ways and repented and headed the Church.

What truly struck me about that was the fact that Alma the Younger still needed to be converted through prayer and fasting.  I suppose I have gone through that same experience – I have let slip my testimony through unrighteousness and laziness, and I find myself without the conviction that I thought I would always have as a result of my experiences.  Like Alma, however, the only true way to get and keep a testimony is through daily additions – miracles and signs can assuage doubts, perhaps, but do not often convert (at least not permanently).

No comments:

Post a Comment