Thursday, June 19, 2014

Ruth 1-2

(June 15, 2014)
Each time in the past, to my recollection, my attention has always been focused on Ruth and her commendable actions when I read this story.  But this time through, I am more drawn to the actions of Boaz.  Boaz is clearly smitten with Ruth, and yet his actions are completely appropriate.  What’s more, when he determines to help her, he does not help her by giving her a handout, but rather gives her protection and subtle blessings along the way given a handful at a time.

It seems clear to me that, apart from its own merits, this is also a parable of Christ and us.  Like Boaz, Christ wants to help and bless us.  But He does not simply give us a handout.  Instead, He gives us subtle aids to our efforts – simple things that we would miss if we were not grateful – and these add up to enough to provide for whatever it is that we need.

No comments:

Post a Comment