Thursday, December 12, 2013

Doctrine and Covenants 122-123

(December 12, 2013)
There are times when elements of my life go so far beyond coincidence that it is impossible to imagine it occurring without a Divine hand.  My reading of Mormon 4, just moments before, left me with the feeling that I was impotent and incapable – a leaf adrift on river, the water driving me against the rocks as I went.  The imagine was clear to me – society and culture, those around me, all of these things controlled far more than I did.

And then, I read these two chapters.  This could not be an accident.  Yes, I am small.  Yes, I am unimportant.  Yes, forces around me shape my life like the waves of the sea beat up the boat.  The boat cannot change the tide, and cannot still the waves.  But the small helm, which incapable of moving the tide around it, still can drive the ship where it needs to go.  I cannot control the world.  I cannot influence the world.  But I can, with the Lord’s help, influence enough around me to cheerfully do all things that lie in my power, and then to stand still to see the salvation of God and for His arm to be revealed.  My I be blessed with that utmost assurance is my prayer.

No comments:

Post a Comment