Sunday, August 17, 2014

2 Kings 20

(August 14, 2014)
                There are times when we are tempted to believe that our situation is one that is impossible for the Lord to resolve.  We may think that we know, doctrinally, the limits of God’s power.  For example, we may be in a position where we may think that God’s capacity to answer our prayers may run up against a firm law that He is unwilling to violate anyone’s agency (and I believe that to be true – He will not violate anyone’s agency).

                But during these days, presumably the people thought power over death to be equally remarkable (and for some reason this power over death seems easy for me to now believe about the Lord).  Hezekiah was so doubtful (despite his great faith) that he needed a sign to know that he would be saved.  The Lord was able to act to save Hezekiah, in spite of his deficiencies of faith and his own weaknesses
.
                I think that there is a common thread, here.  I struggle with praying for things that involve the agency of others.  I pray for others to make correct choices, but I know that their agency means that the Lord will not compel them to do what is right.  Sometimes that affects my faith, or even my willingness to pray about these importance issues.  This is a failure of mine, and something that I need to repent of.  Because though I do not understand or see it, the Lord is capable of performing His miracles even when the agency of others are involved.  After all, in the battles which saved Israel, where their enemies turned on one another, presumably they still had their agency as well.  Yet the Lord still did His work.


                I think it is fine to understand that others have their agency.  But when that understanding diminishes our willingness to pray for miraculous intervention in our relationships, that becomes a problem.  Perhaps the Lord will not intervene, but that is no reason to believe that He cannot intervene in some fashion to see His work completed.

No comments:

Post a Comment