Monday, October 12, 2015

Alma 32

(October 9, 2015)
                There really seems to be a dividing line between those who seek out repentance when they are compelled to be humble, and those who do not.  I don’t know what the difference is (and it would be important to know that, I think, so that I could ensure the appropriate response when difficulties strike).  But to me it seems so obvious to turn to the Lord for help (and repentance is part of acquiring that help) when compelled to be humble.

                I also though again about the fact that there are times when we can only desire to believe (my conversion started at that point).  But it isn’t only belief, sometimes it is applicable to obedience as well.  There are times when I face commandments that I don’t want to obey.  I may obey out of fear or I may choose not to obey, but for whatever reason I don’t want to keep that commandment.  In such circumstances, I have learned that I can go to the Lord and be honest with Him.  I can tell Him that I don’t want to keep this commandment, but I desire to become someone that wants to keep that commandment.  That has always been enough for Him to work a change in my heart through His Grace until I am ready to keep His commandments.


                Finally, I noticed the requirement that we continue to nourish the strong tree of faith.  There is never a time when we are strong enough to stop striving for progress (after all, we believe in eternal progression rather than finish-line salvation). The moment we stop nourishing our tree of testimony, in that very moment we are damned by our own choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment