Sunday, April 7, 2013

Alma 27-29


(April 7, 2013)
I have many times had an interaction with M. that is nearly identical to Ammon’s interaction with the Anti-Nephi-Lehis.  M. would ask me to inquire of the Lord, and I would come back with what I thought was the right answer, and she would not-so-gently remind me that she was asking for the Lord’s opinion rather than mine.  So I found their interaction somewhat interesting.

The second thought that I had in these chapters was the fact that zeal – a world of some derision in modern society – was certainly not used as anything but a compliment.  Mormon’s declaration of the zeal of the Ammonites was nothing more than the highest of praise.  Likewise, I can think of few better things that people could say about me than that I was a zealot – and I hope I can live to be referred to that way.
My final point requires a bit of back story.  From the book Candide, there is the character Pangloss.  Pangloss has a catchphrase – ‘we live in the best of all possible worlds.’  Pangloss uses this line as an excuse to not rescue the drowning, or take any efforts to improve the world.  Yes, Voltaire is using this character to mock a belief, but I proudly think of myself as a Panglossian (even though that is a difficult position to hold when things go wrong).  While we each have the duty to push forward the Lord’s work to the best of our ability, we can also recognize that we live in the best of all possible worlds.  Alma recognizes this as well – he may want things to change but he realizes that there is no way he could confidently change the world that wouldn’t risk making things worse.

I see each mortal on earth as a puzzle piece.  We each have a character that establishes our shape.  The Lord, as the great Author of all, has put the puzzle together with each piece in its ideal position.  The Lord knows how this work will go forward, but the obligation to participate forever rests with each of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment