Sunday, April 7, 2013

Leviticus 11-12


(March 26, 2010)
I wonder how good of a Israelite I would have been.  I read these chapters and I was amazed at the level of complexity involved in serving God.  Now I understand that a portion of that complexity comes from the centuries of changed context of the scriptures (do you know how long a cubit is off the top of your head?), but a portion of it is also a fact that I just didn’t pay enough direct attention to the matter at hand.  I am capable of sorting through complexities, but I didn’t devote the time and resources necessary to do it when I read these chapters.

Now that may not be a bad thing.  After all, the law is not in force now, and learning it may have been a misuse of time and resources.  But even still, I worry whether I should have (and whether I would have) put forth the effort necessary to learn and follow a law where such strict obedience is required.  And if not, where does that leave me?  After all, no less strict obedience is required now, even if the law is less formal.

No comments:

Post a Comment