Sunday, April 7, 2013

Leviticus 23-25


(April 2, 2010)
The most noticeable thing in these chapters to me is the obligation that there is one law for both the Jew and the Gentile.  This clearly indicates that moral relativism is not the Lord’s method for guiding His people.  Even though the half-Egyptian was the one who blasphemed the name of the Lord, he was still accountable as if he had the law.  I think we too often are willing to excuse failings in ourselves by excusing failings in others.  Obviously it is not our role to be judges (unless it is by calling, such as Bishop), but (a) people tend to live up to the standards we set for them, whether they be high or low, and (b) we tend to measure ourselves by the standards we set for others – if we are permissive and nonjudgmental with others, we are permissive and nonjudgmental with ourselves.  We hear love the sinner and hate the sin, and we remember to love the sinner but we forget to hate the sin.

In Chapter 25, the Lord reveals His law of jubile.  I will be quite honest, and say that I just don’t get it.  Maybe if I were there I would, but other than the general rule that the Lord’s people will not be in bondage again, I don’t see what principle the Lord is teaching with this law.

No comments:

Post a Comment