Thursday, September 19, 2013

Alma 5

(September 16, 2013)
This chapter is a painful indictment of our failures.  Going through this checklist, I don't know that I have every been in a place where I could go through it and say that I accomplished the things that were asked of me.  While I have felt to sing the song of redeeming love, I have never felt sufficiently humble (and could you, or would that amount to taking pride in your humility?).

But a funny thing happened as I continued to write this.  I thought that would go through and mention how so many of these standards didn't seem possible, but it struck me as I did how there have been times when I could answer yes to some of them.  Perhaps never yet yes to all of them, but there have been times when I have had no more desire to commit sin.  When I have left aside each of the weaknesses that Alma mentioned.

So it does seem possible, even though I have not yet achieved it.  I suppose that if I can accomplish each individual portion (with great effort) then I should be able to accomplish the entirety if I can just put all of these elements together.

No comments:

Post a Comment