Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Mosiah 28

(September 11, 2013)
There are certain phrases that are used in the Book of Mormon that are almost a sermon in themselves.  On of these was the phrase “cure them of their hatred.”  When we are the victims of others’ bad behavior, our first thought isn’t very often that these people need to be “cured.”  But isn’t that really the truth?  When we return anger for anger, aren’t we merely allowing their illness to spread to us?  And don’t we both need the same cure?

When those around me are sick, I don’t get frustrated with them.  Instead, I recognize that they are falling prey to a constant part of the human condition, and I serve them in order to see them healed as soon as possible.  Why is it so difficult to do the same when I perceive them to be injuring me with their actions?  When someone demonstrates hatred (or any other negative behavior) towards me, why do I not look on their behavior with pity and understanding and seek their healing rather than my own vindication?

It is a hard standard to meet, but one that I think I need to better strive to accomplish.

No comments:

Post a Comment