Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Mosiah 13-14

(September 1, 2013)
I had several thoughts on these chapters that I will save for later.  I thought about why it was that only Alma was converted – you would think that after seeing the power of God made manifest through Abinidi that some of the others would have converted as well (I suppose they loved sin more than they loved God – that’s the only explanation I see).  I also thought about the commandment not to covet – it is not a commandment not to steal or take, but rather not to even desire the things of a neighbor.  Sometimes I think that we merge the command not to steal with the command not to covet – but they are truly separate.

But what really, really struck me as hard as anything has in my recent scripture study was the line from Abinidi that what they do to him will be a type of the fate that the priests and Noah would suffer thereafter.  For some reason it struck me that this was perfectly true in our lives as well – the way that we treat others will be a type or a shadow of how we will be treated by the Lord hereafter.  If we forgive, we will be forgiven.  If we love, we will enter into His presence and feel of His love.  If we care for His children, He will care for us.  The Atonement is a perfect restoration.

The Mosaic Law taught an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth.  We think that law was barbaric, but was a law of the Lord ever barbaric?  Of course not.  It is a preparatory law to the law of restoration.  Because now, it is us that will have restored upon us our actions towards our neighbors.  If we have a broken heart and bear others burdens, then – as an eye for an eye – we will have our burdens taken upon His back.  That verse has opened my eyes to some things that I am doing horribly wrong, and I feel blessed for the opportunity that I have to make them right.

No comments:

Post a Comment