Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Mosiah 21

(September 6, 2013)
Sometimes I feel like my scripture reading just turns into one massive fault-finding episode in those I am reading about.  Don’t get me wrong – it is still a productive experience.  As I look at the negative example of those in the scriptures, I am able to better see the same failing in my own life.  I suppose I am seeing many failings in the scriptures because I need to see the many failings in my own life.

In this chapter, what struck me was the insistence that the Lamanites had in blaming others for their own problems.  It didn’t matter what happened – if it was negative, it was the fault of the Nephites.  This behavior is something I have struggled with myself.  I can remember reading a book that was highly negative about a political figure.  Halfway through, I took a break to take care of a few minor tasks around the house.  I was putting a label on a CD, and I misaligned it (ruining the CD and the label).  I was furious, and said under my breath, “Stupid [political figure].”

The moment I said it, I realized how foolish it was.  That political figure had nothing at all to do with my inability to properly affix a CD label.  Yet here I was, blaming him for something he had no culpability for.

Needless to say, I never finished that book – I recognized that I could not and should not read it any more.  But while I avoided that blind spot, more exist in me – I am still willing to blame others for things that are my fault.  It is something that deserves our constant attention because – as this chapter shows – blaming others for our mistakes only magnifies our mistakes and hastens our destruction.

No comments:

Post a Comment