Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Revelations 21-22

(September 10, 2013)
Lying seems to be a bigger deal than we consider it to be in mortality.  Were I to judge the sin of lying, I would say that it is somewhere down on the list – more serious than, say, coveting, but less serious than theft.  It is clearly a sin (most recognize it as such), but we view it as a minor sin at worst.

I wonder whether we are correct in that.  Twice I have been struck by that thought as I read through this book.  The first was when the elders surrounding the throne of Christ were described in terms that allowed for no dishonesty because of their position around the throne.  The second was in this chapter, when the list of those condemned to a second death included only one condition (liars) as requiring the quantitative adjective of “all.”  I believe that must mean something.

No comments:

Post a Comment