Thursday, May 1, 2014

Alma 56

(May 1, 2014)
The 2,000 stripling warriors presents an interesting challenge to us as readers.  There is no question that the miraculous events described are plausible (I have seen enough miracles in my own life to not doubt the Lord’s ability to preserve their lives), but the fact that they knew they would not die and did not doubt that the Lord would deliver them is more interesting.

There are miracles that I have needed in my life, but I routinely remind myself that the miracles only come according to the Lord’s will and at His timetable.  I wonder if that is a mistake, or if I am hedging against the fear that the Lord’s miracles won’t come.  If there is a righteous goal that we have in mind, is it not appropriate to not doubt?  Or should we doubt, not that the Lord has the capacity but that what we might want might not be according to the Lord’s design?  Or does that too represent a deficiency of faith?

I don’t know that I know the answer to that question, but it is a difficult one.  The miracles that I have seen in my early life vanished for a while, but that had more to do with my unworthiness than a lack of faith in miracles (they are coming back as I return to living the way that I should live).  But I want to develop the correct faith – and I don’t know where to resolve the tension between not doubting and be it according to the Lord’s will.

No comments:

Post a Comment