Saturday, May 31, 2014

A Purpose for this Site

I have spent the past little while roaming the Bloggernacle, and commenting on various sites while reading what was on offer (and reading others' blogs).  Partially this was to learn what there was to learn, but also it was to see what aspects of Mormon thought I had to offer that wasn't covered better elsewhere.

After review, the best thing that I believe that I have to offer is a look backwards.  Many of the issues that we face today have been already faced by the best and brightest minds the world has to offer.  They have been resolved, and sometimes resolved finally, but too often we don't know because we are busily arguing out those issues today.  So my goal is to provide historical knowledge of what has been thought before on many issues.

I expect I will draw a great deal from C. S. Lewis, who wrote about nearly every central matter in Mormon and Christian thought.  In fact, I have a work in progress entitled "C. S. Lewis Preemptively Responds to the Bloggernacle" that cover many of the major fallacies that keep getting repeated and how they are addressed.  It also discusses many of the issues (Lewis wrote an entire essay on the ordination of women to the priesthood).  But that is for another day.

I believe that I will begin at the foundational building blocks -- theism and atheism.  Most people (including every atheist) do not seem to be aware of the existing logical proofs of God.  When I presented a summary of them on Mormonity a few days ago, each and every one of them were incorrectly interpreted and I was told to argue that on reddit, because that is where all the great thinking on Deity is done these days (?).  I hope to present each of those proofs of God in a clear and concise manner, so that those reading them will understand that the vast sum of evidence is on the side of the theist.  I will also address other issues that have been dealt with before, including prayers, miracles, and so forth.  Intermixed with this, I will bring up issues specific to Mormonism and the Restoration.

In closing, I will include one quote from C. S. Lewis that would seem to indicate that this venture that I am undertaking is worthwhile:

"If one has to choose between reading the new books and reading the old, one must choose the old; not because they are necessarily better but because they contain precisely those truths of which our own age is neglectful.  The standard of permanent Christianity must be kept clear in our minds and it is against that standard that we must test all contemporary thought."

No comments:

Post a Comment