Monday, January 5, 2015

1 Nephi 3

(January 5, 2014)
                In the Church, we carry with us a certain attachment to the Protestant success ethic – and the idea that if we are righteous the Lord will bless us with material possessions.  Of course, this isn’t true – some of the most righteous people in this world own nothing or next to nothing – but it also masks an important concept.  We must be certain that we are not attached to our wealth, because by being attached to our wealth we lose the capacity to use that wealth for the benefit of others.

                There was certainly nothing wrong with Lehi amassing a fortune.  And he set a great example for us in his willingness to leave all of that money behind when the time came.  Plus, if he hasn’t made that money, his children would not have been able to attempt to use that money to buy the Brass Plates.  Lehi, it seems clear, earned his money with the intent of using it to build the Kingdom of God.


                I think that is the best form of motivation for us.  I know I sometimes get hung up in the day-to-day of earning money, but I need to remember that the more successful I am in my business the more useful I can be to the Lord.  And I want to be useful to the Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment