Thursday, January 22, 2015

2 Nephi 2

(January 22, 2015)
                The first thing I wanted to share was something that I have learned a great deal more about in the past year – although it was always something that I drew comfort from.  It is the promise that all things are done in the wisdom of Him who knoweth all things.  The fact that all things are done according to the will of the Father (who perfectly loves us) means that no matter what happens – no matter how bad things might seem – everything will work together for our benefit.  This empowers us, to the extent that we have faith in this true principle, to let adversity roll off our backs like water and keep moving forward.

                The other thought was on Laman and Lemuel, and what they must have felt listening to Lehi as he taught them at this time.  I know that, for myself, I was painfully aware of my continued weaknesses and shortcomings as I read this chapter (indeed, that seems to be one of the greatest blessings of the scriptures – a constant reminder of how far we have to go to be who we need to be).  But somehow Laman and Lemuel heard these words and yet continued to rebel.


                The only rationale that I can come up with is that they allowed themselves to be angry at Lehi.  Anger, in that respect, is a dangerous emotion.  It permits us to close our minds to things that we should hear and consider.  Anger empowers us to justify our own behavior and condemn the behavior of others.  Anger is inherently prideful, and inherently self-righteous.  The more I consider this, the greater my realization of the danger of anger and contention.

No comments:

Post a Comment