Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Mosiah 5-6

(August 26, 2013)
I must admit to a certain...envy might not be the right word, but I’ll use it...for the people of King Benjamin.  After all, each and every one of them that was there for that speech was converted to the Gospel of Jesus Christ.  They had within themselves a mighty change of heart and had no more desire to commit sin.  It all seemed to come so easily to them – show up, listen, be healed, achieve Exaltation.

Of course, I understand that it wasn’t so simple.  But still, to see the change of heart that I am desperately struggling to see in myself come in an instant to them is a bit discouraging.  I push and drive forward two steps only to find myself sliding back one (sometimes two) steps.  It is a never-ending process, but I continue to go through it.  It would be nice, however, to achieve those same ends without all of the work along the way.  I understand why that won’t happen, but that doesn’t stop me from wanting the quick and easy spiritual fix.

That being said, I have available through the scriptures the same speech that they heard.  If I read it and am not immediately changed in my heart the way that they were, does that say something about their writing style (something Nephi brought up before)?  Or, more likely, does it say something about me?  Were the people of King Benjamin ready for their conversion at that time in a way that I am still unprepared for mine?  Is the work that I need to go through just a step in getting myself prepared so that, one day, I can read King Benjamin’s speech and find myself converted the way that they were?

No comments:

Post a Comment