Saturday, August 17, 2013

Philemon 1

(August 17, 2013)
Paul, here, makes an interesting side point that I noted as I read.  He mentions on acknowledging of every good thing which is in [Philemon] in Christ Jesus.  Those last three words are placed in the scripture almost as if they are throwaway – a verbal tic, if you will – but they are anything but.  Instead, they demonstrate a valuable lesson.  On the one hand, it shows the importance of recognizing all of the blessings that we have (“every good thing”), and – just as important – recognizing their source.  Do we do that?  As I sit inside on a comfortable bed in my cool house do I recognize that this bed and the air conditioner keeping me cool are both blessings and that they come from the Lord?  I do now, having thought of the matter – but until I considered it the reality of it hadn’t crossed my mind.  The lesson, of course, is that I must consider it more often.

No comments:

Post a Comment