Wednesday, February 5, 2014

2 Nephi 25

(February 5, 2014)
As I read through this chapter, my mind began to wander a bit.  I began to think of myself living back in the age of Christ, becoming His disciple, seeing His miracles, and so forth.  I began to think of what I could have written then, which could be hidden up to be ‘discovered’ today that would be convincing to the world both of the truth of Christianity in general and the truth of the Restoration in particular.

This turned out to be a harder exercise than I first thought.  As I read through this chapter, I became aware of the level of textual complexity that existed.  It was clear that anything that I wrote would have been clumsy and likely to do as much harm as it did good.  What’s more, as Alma sinned in his wish to be an angel, I was sinning in my thoughts as well.  After all, if the Lord had wanted to tell us something or store records that would unequivocally demonstrate the validity of Christianity, the Restoration, the resurrection, or any of a dozen of other vitally important topics certain He could have done it far better than I could.  And yet He did not – which, I gather, means that it probably ought not to be done.

I don’t know if I am right on that last thought, though, as it seems a bit too Panglossian even for me.  After all, we should labor to the best of our abilities for the Kingdom of God.  Maybe my sin is that I don’t want to do the very same work in convincing people in my own day and within my own stewardship that I want to mystically be transported back in time to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment