Thursday, February 6, 2014

Genesis 24

(February 6, 2014)
There is a pattern of prayer here that I have applied to my benefit in my own life.  Abraham’s servant is on an errand that he needed the help of the Lord with.  He needed an answer, and it needed to be an unambiguous one.  And so, he prayed and established a series of conditions whereby he would know the will of the Lord.  These conditions were not beyond reasonable, so that they did not deny the existence of faith.  Additionally, the servant was clearly ready, willing, and able to follow the answer that he received.  Finally, and I believe that this is vitally important, he said this prayer not vocally but in his heart (see verse 45).

If we pray in our hearts, we can know that only God can know what we pray – for only God can read the thoughts and intents of our heart.  We are thus able to put conditions for understanding the Lord’s will that we can trust, with the knowledge that other actors in opposition to the work of the Lord will not interfere and cause us to receive bad information.  This is something that I have attempted a few times in my life, when I have needed it, and it has always been successful for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment