Monday, February 3, 2014

Genesis 18

(February 2, 2014)
I always feel awkward when I attempt to emulate the method by which Abraham ‘negotiates’ with the Lord in this chapter.  I don’t know whether that is because of my own misunderstanding (and that what Abraham is doing is perfectly alright), or whether Abraham – because of his righteousness – is appropriately communicating with the Lord whereas I am not when I engage in a similar process in my prayers.  My best answer, though, is that what Abraham is doing is not negotiating at all, but rather he is petitioning.  He understands that the Lord can and will do whatever He will do, but Abraham is begging Him to be more lenient.  When we negotiate, we can go wrong.  When we plead, the worst thing that can happen is that the Lord says no.

I think that I need to learn that lesson with others and not just with the Lord.  I think I spend too much time and effort in dealing with those around me by negotiating and not enough giving unconditionally and asking unconditionally.

No comments:

Post a Comment