Monday, February 10, 2014

2 Nephi 28

(February 8, 2014)
Reading through this chapter, there were countless descriptions of Hell and the means by which the Devil pulls us down to Hell.  But reading it in a different light, it is likewise clear that Hell is very much all around us.  We live in Hell on Earth, in a very real sense.  Hell is the kingdom of Satan, and he reigns over the Earth at this time.  We are in enemy territory, and we are seeing all around us the consequences of sin.

We also see it in our own lives.  I have seen, over the course of the last decade, the effect of failing to live the commandments.  This has brought me to a point that can only be described as the pains of Hell.  It wasn’t an external condition – I live in a house with a family and a job and all of the trappings that people believe are the source of happiness.  But, rather, it was an internal condition – I was living in Hell because my choices made my life Hell.  I cannot imagine being in the pain that these choices created for me for eternity – I am so grateful for the Atonement and the capacity that it gave me to escape my prison in mortality.

No comments:

Post a Comment