Monday, February 3, 2014

Genesis 19-20

(February 3, 2014)
It is hard for me to envision the attraction that Sarah held for Abimelech.  Wasn’t she nearly 100 years old by this point?  Why was the king of Gerer, who presumably had a number of other options, so interested in her that he would take her?  He wasn’t that old himself, presuming that the Abimelech referenced later in the scriptures was the same Abimelech (and I suppose it could have been a son with the same name).

I think a portion of it had to be something culturally that I don’t understand.  We, in modern society, can understand physical attraction, but that wasn’t the determining factor in the past so often as it is today.  I wonder whether it is an issue of lineage or dowry or some similar claim.

No comments:

Post a Comment