Monday, June 2, 2014

3 Nephi 14-15

(May 31, 2014)
Once again, the lawyer in me readings scriptural texts somewhat differently.  I don’t know if I am proof-texting (I hope I am not), but still words like all, none, every, never, and so forth attract my attention.  For example, the Lord says “[f]or every one that asketh, receiveth; and he that seeketh, findeth; and to him that knocketh, it shall be opened.”  This language is very absolutist, and I think that the implications that the Lord means what He is saying are implications that we must consider.  After all, what would it mean if every one that asketh, receiveth?  Speaking only for myself, I think I am far too cavalier in my prayers.  I ask for what I should not ask for, and I seek what I should not find.  When I do as for the right thing, I do it without the faith that I should have.

No comments:

Post a Comment