Sunday, July 20, 2014

1 Kings 1-2

(July 19, 2014)
                The actions by David, in how he instructed Solomon, are very much out of character from what we saw of him during his lifetime.  Those he had forgiven, he commanded Solomon to kill.  Those who had served him well, he ordered struck down.  How many times did Joab save the kingdom?

                But as I think about it, there is a certain logic to absolutely everything that took place.  Joab never repented of his actions when he killed those who David promised peace.  Adonijah was fine until such time as he sought out David’s young virginal comforter (a demonstrated aspiration to the throne).  Shimei (the one who openly repented) was given strict commands, and if he followed them he would have died of old age.  Abiathar, as a priest, was not struck down even though there was justification.


                As shocking as this appears to me to be at first glance, the longer I look at it the more I realize that my shock is an issue of culture and perspective, rather than one of eternal law.  And that, as much as anything else, is truly surprising to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment