Thursday, July 17, 2014

1 Nephi 18

(July 17, 2014)
                I had a number of disconnected thoughts as I read through this chapter, but by the time that I came to the end of it I realized that a good portion of what I was thinking ultimately led back to submission and Priesthood authority.

                First, I was struck by the fact that Nephi stated that he was shown how to build the ship “from time to time.”  I think that there is something important to be discovered there.  After all, in periods of uncertainty or times when we feel we are being pulled beyond our limits, we can and often do go in one of two counterproductive ways.  We will either leave the Lord and rely on our own devices, or we will become too dependent on the Lord and abandon our own initiative.  Here Nephi shows us the proper way to go about things – he continually works, but remains open to directions from the Lord from time to time (as the Lord may choose to give those directions).

                Second, after Nephi had built this great ship I imagine that he could have been proud about things.  He could have, therefore, been upset that the command to go down into the ship came to Lehi rather than to him.  After all, I have seen this in similar situations where a quorum or auxiliary leader puts significant time and effort into a project, only to have the Bishop change something, and to find the quorum or auxiliary leader become offended because the final word came to another despite their efforts along the way.  Nephi, though, wasn’t like that.  He understood the manner by which God speaks to man and recognized that structure.

                Third, we see an example of the opposite from Laman and Lemuel.  They would not that their younger brother should be a ruler over them.  When they were confronted by someone pointing out their weaknesses, they became stubborn in their behavior – looking to the hierarchal nature of the patriarchal order as a shield to protect them in their iniquity rather than a demand to humble themselves.  Laman’s understanding of the order was only a façade, as seen by the fact that he refused his father’s entreaties to release Nephi.  

                So many of the problems that we face in the world and in the Church can be summed up by Laman’s words.  People want gay marriage and are upset that the Church is actively pushing for recognition of the traditional definition of marriage?  Isn’t that nothing more than those proponents of gay marriage saying “we would not that the Brethren should be a ruler over us.”  Those feminist movements that seek the advancement of women by destroying or supplanting the Priesthood?  They are, in effect, saying, “we would not that our brothers should be rulers over us.”  Of course, in their hearts they understand that everyone ultimately has a ruler over them – President Monson has to account for his life to his Priesthood Leader and is responsive to the instructions of his Master.  Furthermore, it seems to follow like night and day that when someone refuses a leader over them that they don’t like (because that leader is telling them something that they don’t want to hear) it is only a matter of time before that same person is abandoning the entire hierarchical structure of the Church.  First they turn against the Nephis in their lives, and before long they have abandoned the Lehis as well.


                Finally, I was struck as I read with some similarities with my own life in what was happening to Nephi.  Like Nephi, I feel I have been placed in bondage right now, because of errors that I have been accused of that were not legitimate (in Nephi’s case, that he was seeking control or domination over his brothers).  Like Nephi, I am feeling the pains of the cords which have me bound and I see the suffering of my children, now and in the future,  that have come as a result of what is happening.  The key for me right now, though, is to be like Nephi in that I do not murmur against the Lord in this time of difficulty, but rather that I continue to praise Him.  I don’t know what His plan is, but I can only trust that He has the best interests of me and my family in mind and He will make all things right in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment