Sunday, July 13, 2014

2 Samuel 14

(July 11, 2014)
                I don’t know what to make of Absalom.  On the one hand, he clearly loved his sister Tamar (I doubt it was an accident that he named his daughter after her).  On the other hand, he would turn against his father and seek the throne which he was not entitled to.  At one point in my life, I figured that people could be fairly easily divided into ‘righteous’ and ‘wicked,’ but the older I get the less I feel that way.  On the one hand, it may be because the collection of mistakes that I am making over the course of my life make it more difficult to add myself to the ‘righteous’ category, but honestly I don’t think that is it (the Lord is so kind and generous to me that I do not think that I am cut off even with all my mistakes).  Rather, I think I am like President Faust, in that the older I get and the more I see of myself and others, the less interested I am in justice and the more interested I am in mercy.  I have developed a greater love of people than of principle (a shocking development for me, if you know my history), and I love principle only insofar as it has the power to bless the lives of the people who follow it.

No comments:

Post a Comment