Wednesday, July 16, 2014

1 Nephi 17

(July 16, 2014)
                I find it very interesting that the moment Lehi and his family arrived in Bountiful, they found themselves rejoicing (notwithstanding their sufferings in the wilderness).  That seems to be a common human response to suffering – when we go through it, it is all too easy to forget all about the good times (and, if we are not careful, forget about the Lord as well).  When we arrive at our Bountiful, it is all too easy to forget about our suffering (and, if we are not careful, we can forget about the Lord here too).

                In this period of intense uncertainty in my life, my strongest comfort is the fact that I absolutely know that the Lord will bring me to a place of security and comfort.  I hope that the path back and the end result is the one that I want, but that is a matter beyond my control.  All I can truly control is to live according to the commandments to the best of my ability and trust that the Lord has something in store for me.  I cannot even honestly answer whether my Bountiful will come next month, or in six months, or even if I will need to wait until after mortality comes to a close.  All I can say is that I trust the Lord.  And that, uncomfortable as it is, is enough as I put one foot in front of the other sojourning in the wilderness of my life.


                After all, I will be in this position regardless.  My only choice is whether to allow the fires of adversity to consume me or to refine me.

No comments:

Post a Comment