Sunday, July 13, 2014

1 Nephi 8

(July 9, 2014)
                As you might imagine, based upon my experiences on July 3rd, my mind was drawn to the mists of darkness.  What I find dramatic and interesting is that the mists of darkness, like so many challenges we face, overwhelmed both the righteous and the wicked.  By grasping on to the Rod of Iron, the righteous were able to persevere until they reached the fruit, but they were not immune to the mists of darkness that are covering the world.

                That, to me, teaches two important points.  The first of these points is that it is not unexpected for even believing members, firmly grasping to the Rod of Iron, to have moments of trepidation and uncertainty or even confusion.  Not only is it not unexpected, it would be surprising if it were not so.  We are all to be tested by these mists, and were there no mist there would be no challenge (as much as I hate saying that, based upon my current situation with the mists surrounding me and threatening to overwhelm me, I cannot deny that it is true).


                Secondly, there is the common debate on the Internet between Liahona Mormons and Iron Rod Mormons.  Liahona Mormons, according to the common definition, supplant scripture and Priesthood authority with personal revelation, while Iron Rod Mormons look to scripture and Priesthood authority, which they supplement with personal revelation.  It is clear from this which camp I find myself in.  I believe that there are a number of people who proudly carry a Liahona which they can no longer see because of the mists that surround them when instead they could be safely walking the path that leads to salvation by grasping on to the Iron Rod.

No comments:

Post a Comment