Sunday, July 20, 2014

1 Nephi 20

(July 19, 2014)
                The highlight of this scripture is the bookend verses of 18 and 22.  In 18, the people of Israel are taught that peace is always available to them if they keep the commandments.  In verse 22, they are taught that peace is forever withheld from them if they do not keep the commandments.  These two promises are operable regardless of what the external circumstances might be.

                I have learned, now, both halves of this lesson.  For a long time, I had everything that you could argue a man could want in mortality.  And yet, despite what I had I was not living the way that I should live.  And I had no peace – I thrashed back and forth in a desperate attempt to find peace, but none was forthcoming.  Now, I have lost almost everything that I once had.  But I have also made significant progress in keeping the commandments and excised out of my life my worst vices.  I find myself missing the things that I once had, and sorrowful for the loss, but likewise at peace in a way that I would not have thought to be possible only a year ago.


                I hope that things ultimately resolve themselves in a positive way for me, but so long as I keep the commandments, I know that my peace will be as a river (flowing continually).  And that is a comforting feeling in a time of uncertainty.

No comments:

Post a Comment