Monday, July 28, 2014

2 Nephi 6

(July 27, 2014)
                I was struck by how this must have felt to hear this sermon by Jacob.  On the one hand, they were hearing that the promised disaster had occurred and the destruction and captivity of their people was accomplished.  On the other hand, they were also hearing that the Messiah would still be coming to the land that they left.  I wonder if hearing that worried or upset any of them?  I wonder if they thought that perhaps they had lost opportunities of seeing the Christ for their descendents by their choice to follow the Lord.

                I bring this up because of some of the struggles that I am dealing with in my life currently.  I see certain avenues that I feel are righteous and good, and I recognize that these paths might be closed to me regardless of what I may want or how much effort I may make.  And it has been a difficult thing for me to accept – after all, if my desired ends are righteous (not only good but commanded), should it not be something that I am able to accomplish?


                And yet, I see promised blessings that I looked forward to for now and in the future (and even into the eternities) slipping beyond my reach.  I see no mechanism by which I can restore that which is quickly being lost.  And I feel a profound sadness at that, much as the Nephites at this time must have felt sadness.  I believe that I am doing the right thing, to the best of my ability.  But I also feel that doing the right thing should accomplish the right result, and in that I find that I am not correct.

No comments:

Post a Comment