Thursday, July 3, 2014

Moroni 8

(June 30, 2014)
                Sometimes you can read the same scripture a thousand times, and when you are in a different position in life it can speak to you in an entirely different way.  This, of course, is because the scriptures are not a functional end in and of themselves, but rather a conduit through which we open ourselves to revelation from the Lord while at the same time being anchored and protected from being led astray.

                In my current life, I am struggling to deal with the idea that things which are very important to me, and which seem objectively good, might be completely left outside of my control – there is no mortal way for me to influence the situation to achieve a positive result.  But Mormon’s counsel to Moroni struck me as highly appropriate here.  When we are in situations where control or influence is beyond us (and, in reality, it usually is) we are not to be discouraged or disheartened by the mortal realities but rather to rely on a better, Heavenly reality.  We are to pray that the change we need may come, even when we fear that the time for change has passed.


                It is not comforting doctrine, in a time when I am looking for solutions to problems.  But, at least, it reminds me that my current problems are not unknown to the Lord nor are they mine to bear alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment