Friday, July 18, 2014

2 Samuel 23-24

(July 18, 2014)
                Is there anything more painful to deal with than recognizing that others are suffering for your sins?  David, seeing the death and destruction around him because of his mistake, hints at the anguish and calls upon the Lord to afflict him rather than his people.  Particularly as a parent, this is difficult for me to deal with.  I see that I have made mistakes, and as a result of the mistakes that I have made my children are put into positions where they are being hurt.  I never would want my children to be hurt, and it breaks my heart that it is a situation that I cannot simply step into and fix on their behalf.

                The only thing that alleviates that pain even slightly is to constantly keep before my mind the truth – that they are His children, too.  They were His children before they were mine, and He loves them with a love that exceeds mine.  If I, with my imperfect love, would step in and make everything better if it were in my power, then I can trust that He (with His infinite love) would likewise step in.  But with Him, He is held back not because of limitations in His scope of power but rather in an increased understanding of what His children (me and my children) need in order to achieve our greatest potential.


                And so I am left to strive to take care of my children.  I am left in anguish, and I am left like David to call on the pain and suffering to be put upon me rather than upon them.  And then I am left to wait upon the Lord and trust that He will take care of us all according to His perfect love and Divine will.

No comments:

Post a Comment