Saturday, July 26, 2014

1 Kings 11-12

(July 26, 2014)
                I had three smaller thoughts as I read through these chapters, and one rather more significant thought.  First, though, the minor thoughts.  The first was the blessing of equality that exists in knowing that rules and laws apply to kings as well as servants (Solomon’s violation of the Lord’s law brought condemnation on him despite his status).  Second, seeing God and hearing His voice is no ultimate solution – we still must work out our own salvation with fear and trembling (a fact which makes me feel less horrible about losing my testimony for a short while, despite the miracles that I had seen in my life prior to that time).  Third, I have always wondered about fighting prophesy.  If Solomon didn’t believe the prophesy about Jeroboam, why fight him?  If he did, then surely he knew it would come to pass – so again, why fight him?

                But the central thought in this chapters has to be the approach by Rehoboam in relation to the pleas of Israel.  The advice of his wise counselors, experienced in the world, were correct.  Instead, however, he turned to the new philosophies of his contemporaries – persuasive, but ultimately untempered by experience and wrong.  I see this around me a great deal right now.  It is just as important in these days, as in the days of the Rehoboam, to remember the lessons of the past and the wisdom of those who have been through it all before (Priesthood leaders, for instance).  We ignore their counsel, and the tried and true principles they espouse, at our peril.

No comments:

Post a Comment