Saturday, June 28, 2014

1 Samuel 16

(June 24, 2014)
                We constantly think of the Lord’s words to Samuel to look not on countenance or the height of his stature as a means to avoid judging others.  But, at least in my own life, I find that I have significant problems in trying to do so.  I look at others in their situations, and I am tempted to judge when I should not.  But as I pondered this scripture, in light of the chaos into which my life has descended, I realize that there is an even more profound meaning to this scripture.


                This scripture doesn’t just apply to our judging individuals, but also in judging situations.  I have found myself in the midst of a nightmare that I thought was unthinkable just a few short weeks ago.  I find myself torn apart by circumstances entirely outside of my control.  And yet, I cannot remember a time in my life when I have ever had the blessing of feeling carried by the Lord in the way that He has carried me this week.  I feel compelled to look at this situation according to the “outward appearance,” but the Lord is looking at the heart of the matter.  Despite the anguish that I am suffering through, I have been reassured of the love that my Savior has for me.  I feel strongly that, regardless of how this situation ends up (and it is outside of my control at this point – my mistakes in the past have placed it firmly there), the Lord has still accepted my repentance for past mistakes and these struggles that I am going through will ultimately be for my good.  Even as I write this, going through an intense pain in the process, I find the Spirit whisper just loudly enough to be felt over the gnawing dread, that what I write is true.

No comments:

Post a Comment