Tuesday, June 3, 2014

3 Nephi 19

(June 3, 2014)
As I have taken some steps to try and testify online, I run into a consistent refrain from those who do not believe in God.  Why, they ask, doesn’t He make Himself known if He really exists?  Why does He show Himself to some but not to others?  Doesn’t He love all of His children?  Why does He let so many perish in unbelief?  This, they argue, does not make sense and indicates to them that there is no God.

Christ addresses that argument in this chapter (and what better response can you have from the Lord?), when He states that the Jews could not experience the things experienced by the Nephites because they lacked the faith of the Nephites.  It is not that He chooses not to show them these miracles, but it seems to be an actual issue of capacity – “wherefore I could not show unto them so great miracles, because of their unbelief.”

I don’t presume to know why believing is a necessary prerequisite for the miracle, but I can testify that in my life I have experienced enough that I can say that when you have faith (living faith, not simple, passive belief) the miracles follow.  The answers to the skeptical inquiries are there, but the skeptic will never find them because they declare the results of the experiment as certain though they are unwilling to follow the procedure in good faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment