Thursday, June 19, 2014

Mormon 8

(June 16, 2014)
I was struck by Moroni’s comment that he was the one who would hide the records up to the Lord.  This, to me, brought up the obvious question – how much did Moroni know of what was going to happen?  I wonder when this chapter was being written – was it written before or after Ether and Moroni?  With the rings, it would be easy to move plates from place to place.  Or did Moroni know very early on what he was going to be charged to do?

If that is the case, and I think it likely, what would that have meant?  Can you imagine what it would have been like to have known that your purpose in life was to wander the Earth before burying records that hopefully someone would find in centuries to come (considering my dedication to journaling, I suppose I do understand that in a sense)?  I wonder whether it gave Moroni strength to know of his singular task, and what he did with the years of his life both before and after burying the plates (and how he managed to get out of the battles with the Sword of Laban and the Liahona).  Fascinating, fascinating stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment