Monday, April 21, 2014

Alma 24

(April 5, 2014)
I have never understood the conscientious dissenter from military action.  I can understand not wanting to kill your enemy, and I can understand not wanting to risk your life.  But at some point, it seems to me that it is incumbent upon you to step up and to protect those around you from harm.  Failing that, it almost seems to be a failure in your stewardship.  After all, the children of the Ammonites were killed along with them – and these children will not have the opportunity to grow up and have children of their own.

Of course, by my very thinking here I fall prey to two of the most common traps that we fall into.  The first is obvious – I lack faith.  I am certain that these people believed that the Lord would protect (or, at a minimum, save – as if salvation could be referred to as a minimum) their children.  The second is that I assume that what is right for me is right for everyone.  If the Lord said to them in their hearts to not take up arms, then that is what they are called to do and they only do right if they do as they are instructed.

No comments:

Post a Comment