Monday, April 21, 2014

Leviticus 20

(March 31, 2014)
Scriptures like this give a plethora of prohibitions that are used to justify disregarding the clear language of the Bible.  For example, the Lord clearly reveals to Moses that homosexuality is forbidden.  But, say those who seek to change God’s word, it also says that adultery is wrong and adulterers should be slain.  Moses got it wrong there, said they, and so he is likewise wrong when it comes to homosexuality.  Rather than obey both, they use the disobedience of one to justify the disobedience of the other.

I am grateful that we are not living in the time of the Mosiac Law.  With my failings through life, it is doubtless that I would have found cause to be stoned to death dozens of times over.  Fortunately, thanks to the Atonement and the Gospel, I was blessed to be given the leave to repent of my sins and seek to build a life better in keeping with the Lord’s will.  But just because I am grateful that the Lord did not cut me off doesn’t mean that I can invalidate the Lord’s commandments (both those I have broken and those I personally have not).  It is only pride that causes us to see the sinning of others and to use that to justify our own wickedness.

No comments:

Post a Comment