Monday, April 21, 2014

Numbers 6-7

(April 11, 2014)
As I read through these chapters, so much of what I was reading really wasn’t understandable (or easily understandable) to the people to whom it was given.  The symbolism of the Nazerite, or the symbolism of the sacrifices – I don’t think I would see the symbolism in that even if I were to study it with the fullest measure of my understanding without a knowledge of what happened later.

But that leads to two other thoughts.  First, how much of what is going on in my life is actually a learning experiences for those who will come after me – people who will see in my life things that are easily understandable to them but which I am not able to see currently?  Secondly, does that mean that a good portion of the benefit of our commandments are so that we can understand when the Lord is speaking to us and when He is not?  What I mean is this – when Zenos spoke of mercy through the Atonement of Christ the Son of God, this could have made no sense to anyone (and he was martyred as a result).  But if we heard him, isn’t it possible that we could understand him because what he taught gave understanding to the symbols which we knew?

No comments:

Post a Comment