Monday, April 21, 2014

Alma 27-29

(April 7, 2014)
The transition between chapters 28 and 29 is a very interesting one from my perspective – so much so that I am unsure whether or not we are reading the words of Mormon or of Alma in chapter 29.  I have always assumed that it was the words of Alma, but in the closing of chapter 28 Mormon’s writings and summary are so appropriate (discussing the need for missionary work) that it is clear what he is thinking of.

Still, I think that chapter 29 reads more like Alma than like Mormon.  What I think we have is Mormon talking about the importance of missionary work and how vital it is to resolve the great inequalities of life.  He then includes the quotation that is Alma 29 to demonstrate and support his thesis – Alma likewise recognizing how important missionary work is and (as Alma is righteous) demonstrates how the righteous always desire to share the Gospel.

No comments:

Post a Comment