Monday, April 21, 2014

Alma 38-39

(April 15, 2014)
Sometimes I look to the Lord and ask for a miraculous witness of the truth of His great work.  This is foolish for a pair of reasons.  First, I have had such miraculous witnesses a number of times and yet I still have my times of weakened faith.  Second, it is a wicked and faithless people (i.e., me) who seeketh signs.  I like to excuse myself by saying that I am just knocking as directed and that I truly want to know so as to have more power to obey (both, I believe, are honestly true), but I still think it demonstrates a weakness in my character.

Contrast that with Alma and what he tells Shiblon.  Alma was confronted in a miraculous way by an angel of the Lord.  He was converted in a moment of profound repentance, in a coma brought about through the prayers of his father.  If ever there was one who had a miracle to convert him, it was Alma.  But Alma knows better – he knows that “I would not that ye should think that I know these things of myself, but it is the Spirit of God which is in me which maketh these things known unto me; for if I had not been born of God I should not have known these things.”

No comments:

Post a Comment