Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Alma 38-39

(October 14, 2014)
                I can only imagine how difficult it must have been for Alma to deal with the transgression of Corianton (or, for that matter, Alma the Elder dealing with the transgression of Alma the Younger).  But when push came to shove, in each instance, the leader of the family chose the Lord over his family.  Alma delivered the Lord’s message to Corianton, even though he must have worried about Corianton turning away forever.

                It is hard for me to escape some of the trappings of the Gospel.  The fruits of Gospel living, as I have understood them, are happy and healthy families, children raised in the Gospel, and intact homes.  Now those fruits are in doubt, and they are in doubt at the very time when I am putting my life in order and living the Gospel the way that I should have been living all along.  It is tough for me to see that these fruits of Gospel living aren’t actually guaranteed for choosing to live the Gospel.


                Like Alma, each of us may be put in the position of choosing the Lord or choosing something that we believe is attached to or a blessing from Gospel living.  And each of us must be prepared to choose the Lord in that situation, or in the end we will lose everything else we chose no matter what.

No comments:

Post a Comment