Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Psalms 37-39

(October 29, 2014)
                As a disciple of Christ, we should not fault anyone their progress and blessings and joys in this world.  That being said, David is quite right that it is difficult at times for us to see the wicked prosper.  It shouldn’t be, but it is.  In a perfect world with perfect people, our prayers would be drawn out towards our enemies – hoping that they received blessings sufficient to bring them to a knowledge of their actions and with hope of repentance and forgiveness.  But none of us are perfect people.

                That being said, the Lord is perfectly generous with us in our weaknesses in trying to forgive as He is with others in their weaknesses and wickedness.  The more that I am forgiven, the easier I find it becomes to forgive those who have wronged me.  The more desperately I need the Lord, the more I am drawn out to help and bless my fellow men.  Each time I struggle through adversity and feel the gentle and constant pull of the Lord carrying me through it, I want to reach out and help those around me struggling through similar circumstances.

                Forgiving the wicked and not being angry when they prosper has, ultimately, nothing to do with the wicked.  After all, the Lord will make His best efforts to bring them back to the Father and they will ultimately choose what they want.  Forgiving the wicked, instead, is all about each one of us – if we do not forgive those who wrong us (even if they don’t repent or even acknowledge their hurt of us), we find our souls shriveling up and lose the capacity to feel God’s forgiveness of us.  This is a miserable state to be in.  I think this miserable state – assuming it perpetuates beyond the Veil – is why the unforgiving is said to have greater sin than the person they cannot forgive.  That is hard doctrine, but as I have failed to forgive and then ultimately forgiven, I have experienced that it is true nonetheless.

No comments:

Post a Comment