Friday, December 4, 2015

3 Nephi 20

(December 3, 2015)
                What struck me today as I read this chapter was the number of times that the Lord quoted the prophets.  We understand, of course, that the prophets are fallible in ways that God is not.  But, by the same token, we are on dangerous ground when we take upon ourselves to choose what the prophet is right or wrong about.

                As we can see from this chapter, even the Lord Himself is prepared to quote from large portions of writings from prophets.  What would our reaction be if we rejected something a prophet said only to have the Lord later quote that writing back to us?


                This isn’t an idle question.  I know, in my own life, that at various decision points I have felt the Spirit whisper reminders of thoughts or language that the Brethren have used in General Conference or similar venues.  If I had rejected the words of the prophets then, would the Spirit quoting the prophets have had the same effect on me?  Would I have been closed off from the guidance that I needed?

No comments:

Post a Comment